Friday, February 25, 2011

Who Do You Think You Are?

I have really enjoyed the show 'Who Do You Think You Are?' and was happy to learn that it has been picked up for a THIRD season.

But what I am really sick and tired of hearing about is the comments that say 'why can't they do an episode with 'normal people' for once.' I don't think people realize what really goes into producing the show that airs each week. The producers just don't pick names of celebrities out of a hat and say 'okay, these are the ones were doing this season.' Much like if the show were based on 'normal' people's family histories, they have to find ones that have INTERESTING stories that can be turned into a program that people will WANT to watch.

Now, I have to admit, one episode with an 'ordinary' person might be interesting, IF their story was, but for how much work it takes to put a SINGLE episode together with a celebrity as its focus, I don't think it would be a good decision. What I do think is last week's episode with Rosie O'Donnell is what led to the renewal for a 3rd season. She didn't just let the experts do the research for her, SHE did some of it herself. One of the first things she said was 'It won't be as easy as it looks on TV.' and truer words could've never been spoken by anyone else. Because its NOT as easy as it is made to look on TV, and she proved that with her episode.

I admire Lisa Kudrow for creating a US version of this show that became popular in the UK and hope that the episodes come out on DVD. I was happy to also find a connection to Sarah Jessica Parker, but it took viewing her episode more than once to make sure I heard the surname correctly and then it took a little more digging to find that connection.

I look forward to the rest of this season and hope that the 3rd season comes out sooner than later. Perhaps they could do the stories in anticipation of the upcoming season and that way have them done and ready to roll whenever.

No comments: